Saturday, August 29, 2009

More progress

I have been beating myself up for not actively pursuing the completion of any of these goals, when I realized that I've made progress towards a handful without actually trying.
Losing my ID and thus the ability to drive (and hell, purchase alcoholic beverages and cigarettes, if we're being honest) spurred a frantic, four hour long caffeine and Operation Ivy-fueled cleaning spree.

I actually managed to clean my room halfway. There are now four rather large garbage bags leaning against my desk, and several stacks of clothes and books sitting on the floor, making me feel guilty for not finishing the job. It wasn't hard to start, nowhere near as difficult as I'd pictured it in my mind. But it does take momentum, for sure. I remember sitting down on my floor and picking up a lace stocking. Suddenly, I felt so tired that I didn't know if I could continue. It was as if the stocking weighed about 300 pounds. 300 pounds of pure failure. Luckily, I soldiered on, indiscriminately throwing clothes and shoes into piles, and not bothering to sort anything too thoroughly. This is the biggest problem I've run into in the past - I will spend so much time sorting and organizing minutiae that nothing will ever really get accomplished, except one unnaturally organized bookshelf.

I also saw a sign up sheet at work for a Susan G. Komen race for the cure team. For awhile, I was extremely reluctant to sign up - the race day is the 20th of September, which leaves me very little time to train. But I remembered that I can walk three miles now, and if worse comes to worse I can walk, rather than run. So I put my John Hancock on the paper, and that's that.

I suppose the thing I feel most guilty about is that I haven't written Robert any letters. Beyond feeling like a worthless asshole and a terrible friend, it is troubling to me that if I don't write him, I will have completely blown off a "thing." What do I do then? Cross it out? Make a new goal? Who knows. I am not sure what the proper etiquette is for slacking off so hard on one of your 101 things that it becomes impossible to accomplish it.

But hey, the blackberries should be ripe, so you'll be hearing about that soon.

2 comments:

  1. Did you know that failure infused matter possesses 500% more mass? Scientific Fact!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blackberries, they shiver in fear, knowing we are coming to pluck them.

    ReplyDelete